About Me

My photo
I am a former career girl and am now a stay-at-home-mom to 2 amazing little girls. Exercise and "dieting" have never been easy for me. But now more than ever, I am determined to adhere to a more active, healthy lifestyle. I am not dieting - just making smarter, more natural food choices. I want to set a great example for my girls. I starting running last year with the Couch-to-5K running program. I've lost over 35 pounds since last year and I want to lose 60 more. I completed my first race (a 5K) in October and I running a 10K by this summer. My long-term goal is ultimately to run a half-marathon in 2012. I've created this blog to put it all out there and most of all - to keep me honest. I include a tested recipe & inspiring workout song on each post. I am also hoping to inspire and be inspired by you! I would love for you to join me for this journey and become an official follower of this blog!

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Cooking = Key 4 Me


I am going to keep this post to the basics- song, tip, recipes...and a quick update.

It's been one of those craaaaazaaay weeks. And I am just happy that I am able to get this much out tonight. 

The good news is that I lost another pound this week. Only a pound? Yes! But I am happy about that based on the fact that I had lots of guac, chips, cheese and red wine this weekend. And I lost 3.5 last week, so I figured this would possibly be a lighter weight loss week.  I've lost 10 pounds in 5 weeks so averaging about 2/week. I have 8 more to lose in order to meet my short term goal of losing 18 by the end of April!

PS- I didn't cook as much this week, and I don't think that helped. In the upcoming weeks I am going to try out a bunch of make-ahead freezer recipes and share with you. That way there will always be a healthy, filling dinner at hand.

SONG THAT KEPT ME RUNNING THIS WEEK: 
"Price Tag" Jessie J. I can't get enough of this song after seeing her perform live on SNL - she has an amazing voice!
RANDOM TIP OF THE WEEK: This week's tip is for the ladies. Two words: SWEATY BANDS!!! I first read about these on a running blog. As you can see from my bright red post-run face, I get hot when I run and I sweat. I usually run with a running hat but feel like an idiot doing that on the treadmill when I can't run outside. Not only are the sweaty bands stylish, they are super functional helping keep sweat out of your face. I don't think I will even run without one again - at least not for awhile anyway. I like the thicker band because I am a serious sweater (it's gross I know but I always have been. You can check them out here.... Sweaty Bands.
THIS WEEK'S RECIPE: Spice Rubbed Pork Tenderloin; Bonus Kale Chip recipe.
The other white meat! This recipe is super easy and has lots of flavor thanks to this yummy rub. It is adapted from an original Ellie Krieger recipe. Those who have followed me for awhile know I love her recipes and cook books - she's a nutritionist and all the recipes that I've tried of hers taste great. (I added a link to her cookbooks that I own below, if you are interested).

Spice Rubbed Pork Tenderloin
Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon ground coriander
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme
  • Salt
  • 1 1/4 pounds pork tenderloin
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. In separate bowl mix dry ingredients such as garlic powder, oregano, cumin, coriander, thyme and salt. Stir mixture with a fork until all the ingredients are well combined and they form a seasoning. Sprinkle the rub over the tenderloin with a dry hand, then rub the pork with the seasoning over both sides of the meat, pressing gently so the seasoning adheres well to the tenderloin. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the olive oil and heat. Add the minced garlic and saute, stirring, for 1 minute. Put tenderloin in the pan and cook for about 10 minutes, searing each side using tongs to turn the meat. Transfer meat to a roasting pan and bake for 20 minutes. Slice and serve. Serves 4. Note: I just sear in a heavy stainless steel pan and bake right in that so I don't dirty another pan. 
Nutrition:
Approximately 220 calories, 10 grams fat, 2 grams carb, 30 grams protein, 1 gram fiber, 5pp+

Kale Chips!
I was as skeptical as the next person about kale chips being a super satisfying salty snack... but they are and you can eat a huge bowl without guilt! NOTE: make sure they are super dry after washing before you bake otherwise they won't get crispy enough!
2 cups or bunches of fresh kale leaves
Olive oil non-stick spray
Sea salt or kosher salt

Preheat oven to 425. Spread out kale leaves in a single layer on baking sheet. Spray leaves lightly with spray. Sprinkle with salt. Bake for 8 minutes or so. Outer leaves will turn a bit brown and leaves should be slightly crispy.  

2 comments:

  1. I've been reading and enjoying your blog for a while. Thanks for all the great recipes.

    I thought I'd share a little tip with you too ... Search for "non slip headband" on Etsy and you'll come up with tons of sellers whose products are identical to Sweat Bands and quite a bit cheaper. I have both and I love my "knock offs" just as much. I've personally bought from this seller with great success http://www.etsy.com/shop/jwgcreations?page=5

    Keep up the great work. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been making kale chips a lot lately! How funny -- I was actually going to mention it to you as a good idea. I can't believe how much they taste like potato chips to me. LOVE THEM!
    I'm going to try the beef and pepper soup recipe you posted recently. It looks awesome -- can't wait!

    ReplyDelete