About Me

My photo
I am a former career girl and am now a stay-at-home-mom to 2 amazing little girls. Exercise and "dieting" have never been easy for me. But now more than ever, I am determined to adhere to a more active, healthy lifestyle. I am not dieting - just making smarter, more natural food choices. I want to set a great example for my girls. I starting running last year with the Couch-to-5K running program. I've lost over 35 pounds since last year and I want to lose 60 more. I completed my first race (a 5K) in October and I running a 10K by this summer. My long-term goal is ultimately to run a half-marathon in 2012. I've created this blog to put it all out there and most of all - to keep me honest. I include a tested recipe & inspiring workout song on each post. I am also hoping to inspire and be inspired by you! I would love for you to join me for this journey and become an official follower of this blog!

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Think, Eat, Move


It's so good to feel back in control.

Especially after you've slipped up a bit.

I hope you aren't sick of my Bob Harper quotations yet - he obviously knows what he is talking about! He recently said weight loss success is defined by "Thinking, eating, and exercise in that order."

As it's been months on my journey now, I am really finding so much truth in those words. 

Thinking: 
- You have to have the right mindset going into and throughout the journey or nothing else matters and it's not going to work.
- Asking yourself questions like.... Is this good or bad? Is this how a best friend would treat themselves? 
- Setting out a plan of attack for the week. 
- Thinking is definitely the biggest tool.

Eating:
- The amount of calories that you consume is still the #1 success in weight loss - no matter what kind of "diet" you are on. If you eat potato chips or eat super healthy, but consume the same amount of calories a day you will lose the same amount of weight (this was recently proven by someone who did the krispy kreme diet... gross!).  
- Even though I was cooking a lot of healthy things for the past year I was finding myself starting to eat too large of portions of them, but I would give myself a pass because they were "so healthy". I've parred that back and the specific amounts of what I've been eating have been a major focus for me these past few weeks.

Exercise:
- Yes it's important, but not as important as the other two.
- It clears my head and gives me new goals to strive for.
- More than anything it gives me energy and makes me feel healthier.
- I also like the positive affect it is already starting to have on my 3 year old - who stretches with me after a run. Says she can't wait to exercise with me someday and lately has been showing me her "yoga" moves.

I am turning a fresh page and using these past few weeks as my new starting point weight wise.  Any new weight loss numbers are 2011 numbers. I am only weighing myself one time per week as stated in an earlier post. I've chosen this time to be Tuesday mornings. As of this Tuesday I've lost a little over 4 pounds. I am well on my way to my goal of losing 18 by the end of April.

I have to say I've really enjoyed reading other people's blogs for inspiration. They've helped me get through some of my rougher weeks. I think that people who've struggled with weight loss and are brave enough to document it (in good and bad) are amazing! Go us! (just kidding).  I hope I can be even 1/100th as helpful to a couple people as some of these blogs and facebook groups have been to me. 

Blog Format Update Status: I am starting work on a major blog redesign with a more user-friendly format including a navigation bar for easy access to recipes and more. It's just going to take a bit longer than expected because I am enlisting some outside help :). It will be well worth the wait!

Sorry this post is a little later than expected - we've had some major viruses rock our household and it's currently under quarantine!!!

SONG THAT KEPT ME RUNNING THIS WEEK: "How You Like Me Now (Single Edit)" - The Heavy
RANDOM TIP OF THE WEEK: I think one of the things that has been a major key to ramping up my weight loss success again is a small little perfect orange fruit: the clementine. Super easy to peel - it's a great quick snack. Lately I have been eating one before lunch or dinner. I find it takes that initial hunger away, and keeps me more satisfied with my portioned meal. 
THIS WEEK'S RECIPE: Super Easy Weeknight Pork Chops & Chunky Apple Salsa (Bonus Recipe!)
One thing that gets tiresome with eating healthy, mainly whole foods is the cooking and chopping. Some of you have asked me for some quick and easy recipes. So in addition to last post's quick, easy Chicken couscous recipe - this pork chop recipe couldn't be any easier. I am also including the apple salsa recipe because that is what I served with it that night but I'm not going to lie... that did take time and it might not have been the best fit with the chop although it was delicious on its own. If you want to keep it simple - you could serve with a quick salad, or steamed veggies. Make the apple salsa when you have more time and served with grilled chicken - it won't disappoint!

Easy Baked Pork Chops
Serves 4

Ingredients:

    • 1/2 teaspoon salt
    • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
    • 1/4 teaspoon paprika
    • 1/4 teaspoon sage
    • 1/4 teaspoon thyme
    • 4 boneless pork loin chops
    • 1 tablespoon olive oil
    • 1 onion, sliced

Directions:

  1. Mix the dry ingredients and sprinkle on both sides of the pork chops.
  2. Brown chops in oil.
  3. Place each of the chops on a piece of heavy foil.
  4. Layer each with onions.
  5. Seal pouches tightly.
  6. Place on baking sheet.
  7. Bake at 425* for 30 minutes.

    Chunky Apple Salsa
    6 servings (serving size: 1/2 cup)

    Ingredients


    • 2  cups diced apples (about 3/4 pound)
    • 1/2  cup  diced red bell pepper
    • 1/3  cup  fresh lime juice 
    • 1/4  cup  diced red onion
    • 1/4  cup  minced fresh cilantro
    • 1  tablespoon  honey
    • 1/4  teaspoon  salt
    • 1/4  teaspoon  freshly ground black pepper
    • 2  jalapeƱo pepper, seeded and minced

    Preparation

    1. Combine all ingredients, stirring well.
    Only 40 calories/serving! :),  Points+= 1

1 comment:

  1. This information is invaluable. How can I find out more?



    My blog: Phen375 Testimonials

    ReplyDelete