About Me

My photo
I am a former career girl and am now a stay-at-home-mom to 2 amazing little girls. Exercise and "dieting" have never been easy for me. But now more than ever, I am determined to adhere to a more active, healthy lifestyle. I am not dieting - just making smarter, more natural food choices. I want to set a great example for my girls. I starting running last year with the Couch-to-5K running program. I've lost over 35 pounds since last year and I want to lose 60 more. I completed my first race (a 5K) in October and I running a 10K by this summer. My long-term goal is ultimately to run a half-marathon in 2012. I've created this blog to put it all out there and most of all - to keep me honest. I include a tested recipe & inspiring workout song on each post. I am also hoping to inspire and be inspired by you! I would love for you to join me for this journey and become an official follower of this blog!

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Satisfied


I wasn't sure what I was going to write this post about today. Then I had lunch today and had an epiphany of sorts.....

I've always been one of those girls to finish my plate - even when I am full. If it tastes good, I'll eat it until it's gone. I guess I just really love food, especially good food. Since I've started out on this journey - I've changed that thinking at restaurants (for the most part), since most portions are so huge, I usually do the common trick of get half boxed at the beginning.

At home I've really been watching my portions, even of healthy foods. Today I made myself a nice healthy lunch and was very hungry. I ate half my sandwich and felt satisfied. Not full, but my hunger was put at bay...so I bagged up the other half. I never would have done this before.The sandwich was low calorie and was well within my plan for the day. I ate the other half while my kids were having an early dinner before I went to workout. Perfect!
Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla Ext.

I am becoming more aware of what my body needs... and it is a great feeling.



I am excited to report that I lost 2 pounds this week. I need to lose 12 more to reach my short term goal of losing 18 by the end of April.

I am especially proud of this loss, because I went out and had a nice dinner where I couldn't pass up the bread basket or the cocktails. And the following day I had a high calorie sandwich with french fries! So I worked extra hard on the other days to make up for it.


SONG THAT KEPT ME RUNNING THIS WEEK: Hey, Soul Sister- Train (slower than my usual song but put a jump in my step)
Before baking
RANDOM TIP OF THE WEEK: Certain high quality products really make the difference when it comes to taste. For instance - there is only one vanilla extract I will use now (see pic). Great vanilla flavor! Also people think that you have to buy expensive EVOO (extra virgin olive oil). The truth of the matter is that when you heat it- really doesn't make a big difference. When quality is important, is when it's not heated. So I use the "cheap" EVOO for recipes where it's heated, and use higher-end when it's not (salad dressings etc.). My favorite higher-end brand is Lucini - it won the taste test at America's Test Kitchen.
THIS WEEK'S RECIPE: Basic Banana Oatmeal Squares. I haven't done a breakfast recipe in awhile, and I've been sick of the same old breakfasts myself. I like these because you can make them in advance, portion them out and then reheat in the toaster oven or micro, so you can have a quick healthy breakfast in the morning. I even just froze some squares individually.  I also like them because they still have a softer, comforting oatmeal texture.

Banana Oatmeal Squares
Hot out of the oven!
Ingredients:
- 2-3 bananas (1-2 mashed, 1 sliced)
- 2 cups Quaker Old Fashioned Oats
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups of Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk (I use Almond Breeze)
- 1 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract
Note -  Although super yummy...this wasn't very sweet. If you like your oatmeal sweeter, you will want to add a little splenda or agave and mix it in the batter or even a little brown sugar on top at the end of baking. Next time I might add a little sweetener,  I just wanted to make a good basic recipe to branch out from. Feel free to add your own flavors (cinnamon would be good too!).
                                                               
Delish, huge, filling portion :)
- Combine the dry ingredients. Combine the wet ingredients in a separate bowl. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix well. Line a 8" square pan with parchment paper (that way it doesn't stick and you don't have to clean it!). It would also work in a pie pan. Layer some banana slices on the bottom. Pour batter into pan. Top with remaining banana slices. Bake at 375 for approximately 30 minutes. 





- Ok, here is the nutrition info - keep in mind that there are only 4 servings in this recipe so each serving is HUGE and super satisfying/filling!!! :)


Calories: 230, Fat 5 grams (only 1g is saturated), 41g carb, 6g fiber, 7 grams of protein. 6pp+




1 comment:

  1. those look so good!! i've been looking for new things to eat for breakfast. i'm definitely trying these :)

    ReplyDelete