About Me

My photo
I am a former career girl and am now a stay-at-home-mom to 2 amazing little girls. Exercise and "dieting" have never been easy for me. But now more than ever, I am determined to adhere to a more active, healthy lifestyle. I am not dieting - just making smarter, more natural food choices. I want to set a great example for my girls. I starting running last year with the Couch-to-5K running program. I've lost over 35 pounds since last year and I want to lose 60 more. I completed my first race (a 5K) in October and I running a 10K by this summer. My long-term goal is ultimately to run a half-marathon in 2012. I've created this blog to put it all out there and most of all - to keep me honest. I include a tested recipe & inspiring workout song on each post. I am also hoping to inspire and be inspired by you! I would love for you to join me for this journey and become an official follower of this blog!

Monday, September 13, 2010

Doing It and Doing It and Doing It Right...


A number of people have been suggesting to me that they don't have time to cook like this or asking me how I have time for these runs, the cooking, the blog, along with being a mom of a toddler and an infant who requires extra attention. 

Believe me what I do is not perfect by any means...

The short answer: You just have to make it a priority. 

The long answer:
 - I watch a lot less TV at night - which has actually helped me cut down on the mindless snacking :). 
 - Unfortunately I don't really have time to read novels like I used to, but hope to make this a priority again as my kids get older.
 - I don't cook brand new recipes every night. I try out a few new ones a week for the blog and only post best ones. 
 - When I know it's going to be a long day with a very early workout and a lot scheduled throughout the day - I have a more simple dinner planned (tacos, spaghetti, grilled chicken etc). 
- Sometimes we also get take out, but I chose a healthier option and eat a smaller portion (most of the time).
- My kids are very young. Only one eats real food and can be a picky toddler.... I feed her earlier and make her her own meal. She has some healthy staples she likes. 
- This means that sometimes by the time I am done with all the evening routine for the 2 entails, and by the time I finish cooking; we (the adults) don't eat 'til 9:30. 
- My house doesn't look as clean. There is a lot more clutter around - as a friend who stopped by the other night can attest to. I can't worry that everything is in it's proper place all of the time - I just make sure it is clean (dirt-wise).
- I stay up too late....especially for how early I get up. I do need to get more sleep. 
- I have a great support team in my husband and parents, one of which will watch the girls while I run most of the time. Otherwise if neither are available for whatever reason - I invest in a babysitter just to run and shower. Investing in yourself is important. I feel ultimately I'm investing in my family. 

I am just writing this to let you all know that it's not picture perfect. I don't have a lot of true free time now. My house often looks like it has been ransacked, and we don't all sit down for a perfectly wholesome meal at 6pm. I want to have family dinners - and as the girls get older I will make that happen. BUT right now, this is my reality and I feel I am "in-training" not only in running but in this whole life change.

I am excited to report that I've lost 19 pounds, since I started my journey in July. I'm on my way...

Thank you to the new followers that have recently joined. I appreciate your interest and support!


SONG THAT KEPT ME RUNNING THIS WEEK: "Beautiful Day" U2 - takes on a new meaning with running outside. I am really appreciating the outdoors even more, now that I am running outside.
RANDOM TIP OF THE WEEK: EAT GREEK YOGURT! 

It has so much more protein than regular yogurt (one cup serving has 22 grams of protein!) Choose non-fat, plain and flavor yourself with natural sugars. I like mine with cut up fruit or berries (whatever I have in the house) and a spoonful of drizzled raw honey (using raw makes such a difference). This yogurt can be expensive if you eat it a lot .... but if you have a Trader Joe's and you can buy the big containers of their brand for much cheaper than "Fage" is. This is my favorite breakfast especially after a run. 
THIS WEEK'S TESTED RECIPEMultigrain Pancakes with a Ricotta/Yogurt Sauce & Raspberries adapted from an original Clean Eating recipe.

I thought since I haven't included a breakfast recipe... it was about time. These are something to definitely make on the weekend while you have more time. I like to make extra to freeze - they reheat well and are a good 'before school' breakfast. One is also a great mid-day snack with a Tbsp of almond butter and 1/2 of a cut up banana! My toddler even loves these (although she likes hers with a lot of syrup... see pic below... it's high fructose corn syrup free ... don't judge :).

Some of these ingredients were a bit hard for me to track down (sorry!) but my small local health store had them - and it's worth it - these are very good for how healthy they are (especially with the sauce!). Serves 4. 

Pancakes:
-1 1/4 cup white whole-wheat flour
-1/2 cup spelt flour
-1/4 cup wheat germ
-1/2 cup regular oatmeal ground
-1 tsp Sucanat
-1/8 tsp salt
-1/4 tsp baking soda
-1 tsp baking powder
-1 egg
-1 egg white
-1 cup low-fat buttermilk
-1 cup of unsweetened plain soy milk
-Olive oil cooking spray
-1 cup raspberries

Ricotta Sauce:
-1/2 cup of non-fat plain greek-style yogurt
-1/2 cup low-fat ricotta
-2 Tbsp pure maple syrup
-1/4 tsp of ground cinnamon (I upped this to 1/4 tsp of cinnamon because I like it - you might want to use less...taste it with less first)

Prepare pancakes: In a medium bow, mix both flours, wheat germ, oatmeal, Sucanat, salt, baking soda and baking powder. In a smaller bowl, whisk together egg and egg white, buttermilk and soy milk until foamy. Pour wet ingredients into dry and mix until well blended; let sit for 5 mins. so flours have time to absorb liquid (mixture will thicken). 
Prepare ricotta sauce: In a small bowl, combine yogurt, ricotta, maple syrup, and cinnamon with a whisk until smooth and creamy. 
Next: Heat a griddle of large skillet over medium high and coat with cooking spray. Pour pancake batter onto griddle in large spoonfuls (4 inches in diameter). cook until bubble form around edges, about 3 mins. Flip and cook for another 2-3 mins. 
To serve: stack pancakes evenly among plates, drizzle with 1/4 cup ricotta sauce and top with 1/4 cup of raspberries.


5 comments:

  1. Congrats on the HUGE weight loss!! I am loving the recipes. I started a similar journey back in May in hopes of training and completing a half-marathon this November after a VERY indulgent pregnancy.
    http://andreashalf-marathonjourney.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! I have been reading through your blog and just this week decided to finally start my own journey http://fattysgonnaruna5k.blogspot.com/

    Keep the recipes coming - I can use all the ideas I can get!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great post kelli! congrats on the weight loss... you look great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much everyone for the feedback. :) Hope you are having a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just found your blog and really enjoy it. I too started on a weight loss journey some time ago. It is an ongoing life change. I have been successful at keeping the weight off by being more aware of what I eat. Now I need to get off the couch. You are inspiring.

    ReplyDelete