About Me

My photo
I am a former career girl and am now a stay-at-home-mom to 2 amazing little girls. Exercise and "dieting" have never been easy for me. But now more than ever, I am determined to adhere to a more active, healthy lifestyle. I am not dieting - just making smarter, more natural food choices. I want to set a great example for my girls. I starting running last year with the Couch-to-5K running program. I've lost over 35 pounds since last year and I want to lose 60 more. I completed my first race (a 5K) in October and I running a 10K by this summer. My long-term goal is ultimately to run a half-marathon in 2012. I've created this blog to put it all out there and most of all - to keep me honest. I include a tested recipe & inspiring workout song on each post. I am also hoping to inspire and be inspired by you! I would love for you to join me for this journey and become an official follower of this blog!

Saturday, May 14, 2011

1,000 Words


I don't mean to sound vain but, don't you hate when you see a bad picture of yourself? Or more specifically, a picture that is not how you see yourself?

There's not much more that can slap me in the face and make me feel badly than when I see  a picture of myself that I didn't think I looked like anymore. Or I thought I was thinner than.

I was starting to feel better about myself. I had recently gone dress shopping, as I had some things I needed to go to and what I had available to wear were too big and/or really old. I felt good when I went shopping as unlike the past, a lot of what I tried on this time "worked". And I bought a few dresses in one size down. 

Heels would've helped 
Some were also out of my usual comfort zone. They were short (for me) and I didn't have to wear something over some of them. I would normally wear something over as an extra layer of coverage, and what I often feel like is protection.

Before I left for one of these events, I had my babysitter take a picture of me for the blog before I went out. Mainly because it was a dress that was much shorter for me, so I wanted to start showing some progress and documenting my weight loss. And when I saw the picture the next day I was really disappointed. I am still sharing it (as this blog is about being honest through this journey), but I thought I looked better than this picture and still have a long way to go. I also saw a few Mother's Day pictures where my face looked much puffier than I thought it did. 

I am still working hard, running every other day and have worked last week's arm routine into my weekly mix. I do think I set my goal for May a little too ambitiously. I just have to work a bit harder on food planning.

SONG THAT KEPT ME RUNNING THIS WEEK: "Hate to Say I Told You So" - The Hives
RANDOM TIP OF THE WEEK: I'm skipping this and giving you 2 veggie recipes instead :)
THIS WEEK'S RECIPES: Ginger Bok Choy, & bonus Easy Green Beans with Goat Cheese Vinegar 
Ginger Garlic Bok Choy
Ingredients:
1 bunch of large Bok Choy, or 3 bunches of baby Bok Choy
2 cloves minced garlic
1 tsp fresh ground ginger
1/2-1/4 tsp of red pepper flakes (reduce or remove if you don't like things spicy)
1 tbs soy sauce
1 tsp canola oil
Splash of chicken broth
1/4 tsp of toasted sesame oil (or 6-8 drops)
*The key to cooking bok choy is to separate the leaves from the stems so you can cook them different lengths. Also you cook quickly at a high temp so it still has good crunch and isn't soggy.

Directions: Cut the bottom off the bok choy stalks. Wash well (sometimes silt/can get caught in the stalks). Separate the leaves from the stems. Cut the stems into 1/2" pieces on an angle. Heat oil on high in a large sauce pan. Add cut up bok choy stems and splash of chicken broth. Cook only for about a minute tossing well . Add garlic, ginger and red pepper flakes. Cook for about another minute more. Add leaves (if they are large you may need to cut in half), add soy sauce and add toasted sesame oil. Toss and cook about 30-45 seconds so leaves are slightly wilted. 

Easy Green Beans with Goat Cheese Vinegar 
I was sick of the same old same old plain green beans so I tossed a few things together one night this week, and it was yummy. A little cheese goes a long way!
Ingredients:
8-10 oz fresh or frozen green beans (I used frozen green & yellow).
1/4 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp red wine vinegar
1.5 tsp dried oregano
1 oz goat cheese (I used a pre-measured 1oz medallion in order to not go over board.)
Salt and pepper to taste
Directions: Cook beans according to directions. (I like them slightly undercooked). Add goat cheese to beans while they are hot - it will melt and turn into a sauce. Add the remaining ingredients and toss together. Enjoy :)

5 comments:

  1. Don't be discouraged! Honestly, you look amazing.

    I personally do not like photos of myself.. I always feel like I look larger. Other people have mentioned that too in my family - that pictures do me no justice. Some people just don't photograph well! Also I find that some clothes I look amazing in and you can take a photo of me all day long and I'll be happy! Other clothes, not so much. :/ So in the past I've taken people with me shopping so I can "model" them and get real feedback.

    BUT seriously.. you do look amazing! So does the food. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look awesome!

    Also, I am excited to try bok choy that way looks yummy!

    Good luck on your journey, had a little peek through your blog and I LOVE the way you write posts, recipes look fabulous :].

    ReplyDelete
  3. The EXACT same thing has happened to me with pictures. I look in the mirror, think I look pretty hot, then look at the picture and the wrong angle creates all kinds of not cute.

    See past that, and compare that picture to one of you when you first started. That's why you always see me with a before next to my current. I need to see the difference even if the camera "adds a few pounds to now."

    You're doing great - keep it up!

    ~Clara

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep up the good work!! I feel the same way as you do when I see a picture of myself. You think, wow I'm doing a great job! But when you see the picture, you think, really? I think we're just too hard on ourselves sometimes. The extra pounds were gradually added year after year. It's only normal that it will take us a while to get rid of them ;-)

    Congrats on the 5km!!! I also started that same program :) I'm disappointed though because it seems that every time I run, I get a pain in my knee. I so wanted to run in that 5km in 2 weeks. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for the wonderful comments. It's hard. I just always try to be honest with how I am feeling at the moment when I write these posts. :).

    @Adria - you have to listen to your body. If you knee is hurting don't push it to hard. Try running shorter distances. Have you been fitted at a running shop for shoes. The right shoes are key as is SLOWLY building up your running. I have been battling shin splints off and on in my right leg and have had to cut back a bit. It stinks but cutting back a little saves yourself from a more serious injury and having to take a long time off. Hope this helps :)

    ReplyDelete