About Me

My photo
I am a former career girl and am now a stay-at-home-mom to 2 amazing little girls. Exercise and "dieting" have never been easy for me. But now more than ever, I am determined to adhere to a more active, healthy lifestyle. I am not dieting - just making smarter, more natural food choices. I want to set a great example for my girls. I starting running last year with the Couch-to-5K running program. I've lost over 35 pounds since last year and I want to lose 60 more. I completed my first race (a 5K) in October and I running a 10K by this summer. My long-term goal is ultimately to run a half-marathon in 2012. I've created this blog to put it all out there and most of all - to keep me honest. I include a tested recipe & inspiring workout song on each post. I am also hoping to inspire and be inspired by you! I would love for you to join me for this journey and become an official follower of this blog!

Friday, August 27, 2010

Keep on Keepin' On...

Since you don't run a 5K on a treadmill... I thought it was about time for me to switch it outside this week. WOW - what a big difference that was. 

Differences included: varying inclines, my speed (I think I started out faster than normal), the ground is alot harder (no springs, lol!), there are distractions that take you out of your zone - uneven road, cars, etc. I didn't make it as far as I had been going on the treadmill and I was super sore the next day... it hurt to walk down stairs. 

I was super discouraged and knocked myself down about it. I also had some personal setbacks that day with one of my daughters - some health issues that had been improving took a turn for the worse, and she needs to do consistent physical therapy for awhile - which she doesn't enjoy, is very gut wrenching and time consuming. She will eventually be fine, which I am so blessed and thankful for, but I just have a lot of stressers going on at home with not very much support at the moment. In the past, this is when I would have started feeling sorry for myself about the physical running challenges, challenges at home, overall mental challenges and quit a program.

So, what did I do...? I officially signed up for a 5K in the October that day to keep me pushing forward. I have a new attitude and am going to work it. This is a positive area in my life. The blog is almost like therapy for me and I'm glad people are relating to it and enjoying it :). I've decided to rotate my training between treadmill (with an increased incline) and outside until my body becomes more used to running outside - then I am going to solely run outside. 

PS - I've lost 14 pounds to date! And my goal is still to lose 66 pounds. I'm on my way...

SONG THAT KEPT ME RUNNING THIS WEEK: "Pump it Up" Elvis Costello
RANDOM TIP OF THE WEEK: When your sick of eating the same old steamed or grilled veggies - try different seasonings. My favorite seasoning on veggies is Paula Deen's "House Seasoning". I especially like it on steamed green beans and grilled asparagus. You can buy this pre-mixed see picture. Or you can easily make it yourself for cheaper. Her official recipe calls for 1 cup salt, 1/4 cup black pepper, and 1/4 cup garlic powder. However the pre-mixed version also has onion and is super good. My husband puts it on noodles - loves it. NOTE - probably not good for someone who is on a sodium restricted diet.
THIS WEEK'S RECIPE: Turkey Salad with Apples and Walnuts (modified from a Clean Eating recipe)
Since my previous recipes have mainly been dinners, I thought it would be good to include a lunch idea. I don't know about you, but I get sick of eating the same things over and over for lunch. This was a refreshing idea that was part of the Clean Eating magazine's 14-day meal plan (more on that next week). And it is a very satisfying lunch with the protein from turkey and greek yogurt, the fat from the walnuts and the sweet crunch from the apples.... enjoy! :). Look how big it was!

Chopped Turkey Salad
- 4oz chopped deli fresh low-sodium turkey breast
- 2 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1/2 chopped apple
- 1 chopped celery stalk
- 2 tbsp broken raw walnuts
- 1/3 cup non-fat plain GREEK yogurt
- 1 Tbs fresh lemon juice


Question for readers - Do you have a favorite "outside the box" healthy lunch?


UPDATE - 8/27 AM - I ran outside this morning ...did the full 28 minutes of running and it felt great! Just like in life you will have good days (runs) and bad ones... you just need to keep on keepin' on!

7 comments:

  1. Kell!!! You're amazing! I'm so proud you signed up for a 5K - which one are you running? Glad you're feeling better - xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Kelli! You are inspiring me to start excercising again :) That salad looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I'm right behind you with the C25k; I just completed W7 and did my first run outside too - same issues - speed not consistent, hills, no TV to keep me company, hotter than an a/c basement... But I will get there! I LOVE Clean Eating Mag! I do modify some of the recipes too to suit my taste! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for the feedback everyone!
    mimi - good for you! yes - clean eating mag is one of my favs - has lots of good ideas to add variety into meals - and usually they taste good too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad I found your blog - whenever I have a set back on my C25K, I read your posts and have got back on track. Love the recipes too. Thinking of you and your daughter. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I looooove omelets for lunch. I work from home so I have the luxury of cooking one whenever I want.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! I just found your blog from the C25K FB page. Great stuff! I too started my running on a treadmill and then switched to outside. It was hard to switch and I felt like I was starting over. But now, 3 months later, I'm trying to stretch the outside runs as far into fall as I can because I'm afraid it will be a long winter on the treadmill!! I have lost 68 lbs and have 32 left. I'm anxious to read more of the recipes you've shared. I'm always looking for new ideas!

    Lori
    68 lbs and counting

    ReplyDelete