About Me

My photo
I am a former career girl and am now a stay-at-home-mom to 2 amazing little girls. Exercise and "dieting" have never been easy for me. But now more than ever, I am determined to adhere to a more active, healthy lifestyle. I am not dieting - just making smarter, more natural food choices. I want to set a great example for my girls. I starting running last year with the Couch-to-5K running program. I've lost over 35 pounds since last year and I want to lose 60 more. I completed my first race (a 5K) in October and I running a 10K by this summer. My long-term goal is ultimately to run a half-marathon in 2012. I've created this blog to put it all out there and most of all - to keep me honest. I include a tested recipe & inspiring workout song on each post. I am also hoping to inspire and be inspired by you! I would love for you to join me for this journey and become an official follower of this blog!

Saturday, August 13, 2011

The Edge of Glory

One way or another I promise I will start posting once a week. Thank you for those who gave me feedback saying you missed my posts! It's been a crazy summer with an overseas trip, moving out of one house, into another and then going on a previously scheduled local vacation (where I am now). 


With all the craziness: less cooking, more takeout, less running, more packing and unpacking.... I have been happy to be able to just maintain. I might be a handful of pounds less, but won't know for sure until I get back home to my tried and true wii fit scale. I'll let you know next post. 


Although I still have a long way to go, I am really happy with how far I've come. I appreciated that earlier today when I was shopping at a little boutique and I picked up a size and I just new it would fit me - in a real store! And it fit like a glove. And I also appreciated how far I've come when I miss running so much that I went out running in an area outside my element in-between 2 storms this morning. I am so thankful I have found something so active that I enjoy doing SO much. See you back here sooner than later!


PS- You don't want to miss this week's recipe. 


SONG THAT KEPT ME RUNNING THIS WEEK: "The Edge of Glory" Lady Gaga. This song really gets me pumped up when I feel like I want to stop running. I love it.
RANDOM TIP OF THE WEEK: Try a new vegetable this week. I recently tried kohlrabi as I got one in my weekly produce share from a farm that I purchased a CSA from. Kohlrabi is a cross between and cabbage, radish and apple I would say, most like a radish but less spicy. I just removed the stems sliced it thinly with my mandoline and sprinkled a little salt on it. I ate some as a side to my half turkey sandwich for lunch the other day... delish!!
THIS WEEK'S RECIPE: Leek & Sugar Snap Pea Risotto (so so so good. would be a great Meatless Monday recipe). I can't say enough about this recipe. It tastes so fresh and good. I LOVE leeks and the sugar snap peas really add to this dish too. 

Leek & Sugar Snap Pea Risotto

Yield 5 servings. Serving : 1 cup

Ingredients:

  • 4 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar snap peas
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 1/2 - 2 cups sliced leek (1/2-inch thick)
  • (Make sure to soak & wash leeks properly to get all the dirt and sand out!)
  • 1/2 cup chopped carrot
  • 1 cup Arborio rice
  • 1/4 cup dry vermouth
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/2 cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese
  • 1 teaspoon real butter
  • 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Preparation

  • Bring broth to a simmer in a medium saucepan and reduce heat. Keep warm over low heat.
  • Cook peas in boiling water for 3 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water.
  • Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add leek and carrot; sauté 5 minutes or until tender, stirring often. Add rice; cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in 1 cup broth; cook 5 minutes or until the liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring frequently. Stir in 1/2 cup broth, vermouth, salt, and oregano. Add remaining broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring frequently until each portion of broth is absorbed before adding the next (about 25 minutes). Add peas; cook 4 minutes. Stir in cheese and remaining ingredients.
  • Nutrition: 320 calories, 4 grams fat, 47 grams carb, 15 grams protein, 3 grams fiber, 7pp+

No comments:

Post a Comment