About Me

My photo
I am a former career girl and am now a stay-at-home-mom to 2 amazing little girls. Exercise and "dieting" have never been easy for me. But now more than ever, I am determined to adhere to a more active, healthy lifestyle. I am not dieting - just making smarter, more natural food choices. I want to set a great example for my girls. I starting running last year with the Couch-to-5K running program. I've lost over 35 pounds since last year and I want to lose 60 more. I completed my first race (a 5K) in October and I running a 10K by this summer. My long-term goal is ultimately to run a half-marathon in 2012. I've created this blog to put it all out there and most of all - to keep me honest. I include a tested recipe & inspiring workout song on each post. I am also hoping to inspire and be inspired by you! I would love for you to join me for this journey and become an official follower of this blog!

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Easy Does It!


For those that have been following this blog for a long time know that I've struggled with running injuries (namely shin splints) off and on. Unfortunately these shin splints have hampered the timing of  my overall distance progression since I started running in the summer of 2010.

There are 2 major tips that have helped me get over them.  SO - move over because here I come! 

1. Run slow. As a major Type A personality - I was previously always running way too fast. Now I know that my too fast was slower than most runners' slow, but I also realize if they strapped on 20 pound weights to each of their 4 limbs they would be slower too. This article from Runner's World greatly helped me - it is worth the read for any runner. 
2. Slight change in form - a fellow runner told me that her knee injuries were greatly improved when her doctor or PT told her to make sure to run with her whole foot and keep her shoulders behind her hips. 

My first race in Sunday. Can't wait to report back next week!!!

SONG THAT KEPT ME RUNNING THIS WEEK: "Moves Like Jagger" Maroon 5
RANDOM TIP OF THE WEEK: Set a public fitness goal by signing up for an event. Knowing that I had the 5K this weekend has really kept my running on track, even on days it was nearly impossible for me to get a run in. If you don't run, there are so many run or walk 5Ks out there. You could walk the 5K and just start walking a little bit every day and increase your distance over time leading up to the event. :).
THIS WEEK'S RECIPE: Banana Oatmeal Walnut Cookies (with a few choc. chips!). These are so good. They could almost been seen as a breakfast cookie (esp. if you decided to skip the chocolate). My 18 month old loves these (as do I) and I feel they are a healthy cookie :). 

Banana Oatmeal Walnut Cookies (with a few choc. chips!)
Makes - 24 cookies
Ingredients:
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup of all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 tbs real butter, room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup unpacked brown sugar (I used dark brown)
1 large egg
1/3 cup mashed ripe banana
3/4 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups Quaker Oats Quick Oats
2/3 cup chopped walnuts
1/3 cup dark chocolate chips (quality is key here - I used Ghirardelli, the dark cacao ones)

Directions: Preheat oven to 350°. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. In a large bowl cream together the butter and the sugars on medium speed with a mixer (either stand up or hand).  

Add the mashed banana, egg and vanilla extract. Stir in the flour mixture and the oats by hand until just combined and no streaks of flour remain; stir in the chopped walnuts and chocolate chips.

Drop tablespoonfuls of the dough onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Bake for about 10-12 minutes, or until cookies become light brown at the edges. KEY NOTE: It's important to NOT overcook or they will loose their chewy texture and not be nearly as good!

Let cool on baking sheet for a few minutes, and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Once cooled, store in an airtight container.

Nutrition per cookie: 110 calories, 4g fat, 17g carb, 1g fiber, 1g protein, 3pp+ - and they are so worth it!!!

2 comments:

  1. I just found your blog through your comment on Run Like A Mother fb page! I am BEGINNING my time as a runner... I'm still VERY much at the walk/jog stage and I have a LOT of weight to lose. But I wanted to say hi and CONGRATS on your race!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cookie look yummy. I like the advice about takin it slow. Everything in due time.

    ReplyDelete