About Me

My photo
I am a former career girl and am now a stay-at-home-mom to 2 amazing little girls. Exercise and "dieting" have never been easy for me. But now more than ever, I am determined to adhere to a more active, healthy lifestyle. I am not dieting - just making smarter, more natural food choices. I want to set a great example for my girls. I starting running last year with the Couch-to-5K running program. I've lost over 35 pounds since last year and I want to lose 60 more. I completed my first race (a 5K) in October and I running a 10K by this summer. My long-term goal is ultimately to run a half-marathon in 2012. I've created this blog to put it all out there and most of all - to keep me honest. I include a tested recipe & inspiring workout song on each post. I am also hoping to inspire and be inspired by you! I would love for you to join me for this journey and become an official follower of this blog!

Friday, July 9, 2010

Here we go!

Ok - let's start this out with complete honesty:
1. I've always hated "working out."
2. I love food (and drink for that matter - dirty martinis are my favorite).

I've decided I am at a turning point in my life and wanted to document it in some way. If I can just inspire or receive inspiration from just one person that is going through the same thing as me, how great would that be!

So here's a little about me... I'm 33 and I've always struggled with my weight - from 10 pounds to the largest now - 80 pounds overweight for my 5'4" frame. Again - love food, exercise .... not so much. I am married to a wonderful (most of the time) husband and have 2 beautiful girls - a toddler and an infant.

I decided a few weeks ago that I want to take control of my life and happiness. I am not dieting/following a specific program - like I've done so many times before (Weight Watchers, South Beach Diet, HMR shakes), nor am I counting calories. I am just making smarter choices, trying to eat as few processed foods as possible, and also trying to eat only when I am hungry.... what a concept!!!

And last night I started the Couch-t0-5K running plan. If you follow it correctly, it is supposed to get couch potatoes like me to be able to run a 5K in just 8 weeks. Personally - it's a little intimidating to me, but I just decided to finally dust off the ole' treadmill and DO IT. It was only the first day (week 1 day one, W1D1), but it was alot easier than I thought it was. And dare I say I actually enjoyed it?

I had the tunes blaring in my ears (station - Lady Gaga "Bad Romance" on Pandora is a good choice). And getting that 'alone' time where no one could bother me, where I was completely by myself and in-synch with myself was amazing and refreshing.

I didn't want to make this first post too long - in future posts I plan to share why I really wanted to take control of my body and health as well as share my accomplishments and struggles.

Also I do like to cook and come up with new healthy options that aren't just a grilled chicken salad.... so I plan to share some recipes and food ideas along the way!

Yes, I am chunky - but now I am also inspired.... so watch out!




12 comments:

  1. that is a great post and a great start and a great attitude

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, Mama! Without writing a blog of my own in response, I'll just say that I came to the same place you're at with regards to diet and general self-control. No more gimmicks...just a serious life change and the commitment to do whatever it takes to make it permanent.

    I totally believe in you. Rock it, sister! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too!!! Keep it up! I've had to start over 3 times now - it's hard, but we can do it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am onboard with you C-Mama! I start W1D1 tomorrow...so excited and nervous and anxious...and scared! If you look up anti-exercise in the dictionary, my picture is all over that! But, at 46, it's time for me to commit to a healthier lifestyle...I deserve it! And so do you...as do all of us struggling with weight, how to eat right, exercise more, etc.
    I started a blog a few weeks ago when I joined the gym. Am still going to the gym, but haven't had a chance to update blog recently due to a death in the family, and other life events. But will start again tomorrow, to report the success of my 1st day as a runner! WooHoo! Look forward to keeping up with your progress as well!
    Connie
    http://snicklefritz64.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. You'll do great Kelli! It's all about having a great playlist - and Lady Gaga is obviously a solid choice. Can't wait to keep hearing about how it's going!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. great idea, kelli!! best of luck! i too have some lbs to lose from my precious babies! let's do it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kelli! This is a great idea, and I'm so excited to be a follower. We have a LOT in common. The only thing different is that you have two girls, I have two boys! Other than that, I could have basically written this myself. I, too, love good food and drink, love cooking, even... dare I say, love grocery shopping! So, everthing related to food. The good thing is that we can love food and still make healthy food choices! Since you love to cook, you can come up with healthy but DELICIOUS food to eat and not have to give anything up! yay! I look forward to reading your blog and being inspired by you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. you know how much i love you. you can do it. i just know it, girl. let's pick a 5K to run together in the fall.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good for you! I need to do the same so I look forward to reading about your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks to everyone for the wonderful encouragement. I am lucky to have you as motivators!

    Things are going well overall so far.

    I just posted a new update (and one last week if you didn't get a chance to read it yet). Hope you like the recipes :)!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Way to go girl! I too "hate exercise", and I did the C25K this past Spring- actually beginning in the winter. I most especially hated running, but was challenged by one friend and inspired by another and off I went! If I can do it, anyone can. I haven't read every one of your posts yet, but I will tell you that running on the road is definitely superior to treadmill- which can be boring after awhile, but most importantly, won't provide the stimulating challenge that the road or trails will. And make sure you get a good pair of shoes that are professionally fitted to your feet and stride-style. When I got mine they made a world of difference!

    Common sense and self-discipline will go the distance- keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  12. somehow (I think it was via FB) I just arrived at your site. And as soon as I read your profile I knew I had to start from the very beginning. You are me. but I am way older :-)
    I can't wait to get up to date.

    ReplyDelete